Yard sale season has arrived! Many people shy away from the idea of having a yard sale, but do you truly need that broken-down accordion or the 80’s-styled prom dress? A yard sale is a great way to get out with the old and make room for the new. Here are some tips to help make your yard sale a success…
1. If you haven’t used it in more than a year you most likely won’t use it in the next year. Sell it.
2. Get the community involved. Contact your neighbors and coordinate having one large neighborhood sale on the same day. This will give consumers a greater incentive to come.
- Helpful Hint: Have each participating household pitch in a few bucks for directional signs or an advertisement in the local paper.
3. Get your whole family involved. Set up a lemonade stand or have a small bake sale for your kids to run.
4. Promote yourself through your favorite social networking site … for free.
- Create a Facebook event page and invite all your friends
- Tweet about it. Create a fun Twitter hashtag and offer a prize to those who Tweet about your sale.
- Get on Instagram. Whatever old knick-knacks you may uncover are sure to be a hit for somebody, and creating a story line for your many time-worn giveaways can add to the appeal and interest.
5. Offer an incentive. Give away a free grab-bag to your tenth customer.
6. Price slightly higher than you’re willing to sell that way, there is room for negotiation.
7. After your sale is over, do not, I repeat, DO NOT put the leftovers back in your house, garage, or storage. Immediately donate them to your local thrift store, so there is no chance of procrastination or keeping things you do not need.